The Varda Group was established in 2003 by Kelly Rigg and Rémi Parmentier. We now have operations in the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK and we work with an extensive network of freelance collaborators. We’ve campaigned to protect the deep sea, sharks and tuna, the climate, health from smoking and on many other issues.
Welcome to The Varda Group
The Varda Group provides strategic advice and campaign expertise and coordination services across a wide range of international environmental and social issues. The Varda Group consists of Varda BV (The Netherlands), Varda Desarrollo Sostenible SL (Spain), and Varda Ltd (UK). In addition, The Varda Foundation (Stichting Varda) is a not-for-profit organisation that has the capacity to carry out charitable projects. The Varda Group was established in 2003 by Rémi Parmentier, Kelly Rigg, and Elaine Lawrence who have been leading campaigns for over 30 years on oceans, climate, disarmament, human health and many other issues. Our specialties include:
- Campaign coordination and leadership
- Political campaigning and advocacy
- Strategic planning
- Project design and management
- Campaign and organizational evaluation
- Meeting facilitation
- Communications strategy design
- Event organization
- Campaign training
Varda staff are fluent in English, French and Spanish (and to a lesser extent Dutch and Portuguese).
- Strategic advice to the Friends of Ocean Action for The Economist Ocean Summit.
- Panelist at the conference Towards an Inclusive Blue Economy organized by the International Institute on Environment and Development (IIED).
- Panelist at the international Conference on Climate Change and the Preservation of the Ocean organized and hosted by the Belgian Government.
- Facilitation of a strategy workshop hosted by the Adessium Foundation on Mediterranean fisheries.
- Policy analysis for the Friends of Ocean Action.
- Participation in France’s 5th Concertation Meeting on High Seas Governance.
- Presentation and participation in the annual seminar of the Ocean & Climate Platform.
- Participation in the Working Group on Biodiversity of the Comité France Océan.
- Participation in COP24 in Katowice: Event concept and operational management on behalf of the Because the Ocean initiative. And co-facilitation of afternoon session during Ocean Action Day.
- Support for the Shark League in the Atlantic and Mediterranean.
- Website concept, drafting and launch for the Because the Ocean initiative.
- Support to UN Environment in the development of a long-term Ocean strategy.
- Logistics and policy support to the Ministry of External Relations of Chile for the Regional Workshop of the Because the Ocean initiative on the integration of ocean elements in National Determined Contributions in the framework of the Paris Agreement.